Saturday, January 05, 2008

One More Cup of Coffee for the Road

Something strange happens when I'm in a confined space for too long. It's not that I have anything against 14 square meters facing to the north. I've made it as pleasant as I can and it's a place I can generally enjoy being in. However, I can't think straight when I'm in the same place for too long.

The problem with 4 medium-sized islands and 130 million inhabitants is that there isn't all that much space to go to. Sure, there is a concreted-up river not too far from my house that I enjoy going to. A small park going the other way. But generally, neither is a space where one can sit with a book and get down to some serious Rodin-esque thinking action.


This is where Caffe la Fresco fits in. Number 11 in the annual Japan barista championships, it sits innocuously past a hairdresser's and an Indian Restaurant. It's also one of two places within walking distance where I can sit outside and have a coffee.

Another favourite is Nelken. Crimson velvet high-backed chairs, years of cigarette smoke left on the ceiling, still-life paintings, decorations formed by dried up roses. Classical music only. No laptops permitted.


A less creepy alternative is Violon, where pretty much everything has been hand-made or hand-picked by the owner, including the 100% analogue stereo system with valve amplifier and turntable. Superb acoustics, superb stereo, vinyl in immaculate shape. It's perfect for the morbid introspection, as silence seems to be an unspoken rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home